Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Del Seoul (Lincoln Park)

Happy (almost) thanksgiving everybody!  In preparation for the turkey feast that will ensue tomorrow evening, I felt the need to warm up my digestive system with a hearty sandwich from the newly opened Del Seoul around the corner from my apartment.    

As a resident of the area, I can confidently say that a change in restaurant scenery was very much needed (there are only so many Pad See Ew dinners from Oodles of Noodles one can take)!  Del Seoul is a Korean fusion restaurant that blends Korean flavors with traditional and non-traditional Asian and Mexican dishes.  Yes, Mexican.  As in Korean Mexican tacos.  I tried those as well.  They are delicious.  But what intrigued me even more than the tacos on the menu were the assortment of Banh Mi sandwiches, a popular, yet simple Vietnamese treat.  I had to have one...on to the sandwich review! 

Korean Rib-Eye Steak (Bulgogi) Banh Mi
(sweet soju-marinated steak, daikon, carrots, jalapeno, cilantro, red pepper aoli on a toasted baguette)

The first bite of this sandwich told the entire story.  Sweet and succulent, followed by a rush of jalapeno spiciness!  Definitely a fine choice for those of you who like a sweet and spicy combo on your sandwiches.  The freshly crisp daikon and carrots didn't do much for the sandwich's flavor, but provided an interesting consistency which I thoroughly enjoyed.  In regards to the baguette, let me say this...sandwich bread can sometimes make or break a sandwich.  Unfortunately, this is one of those cases when the bread did more harm than good.  The toasted baguette was nothing special...and was hardly warm by the time we bit into it.  Overall, I feel like I got a pretty good sandwich for a pretty good price.  Would I go back for seconds?  Eh, maybe if I wasn't in the mood for Pad See Ew...

No comments:

Post a Comment